Repost of an Puma, 103220-01, EvoPower 3.2 FG, Peacoat/White/Bright Plasma from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Merrell Mens Camouflage Jungle Mocs Real Tree Leather Army Green Shoes Size 9
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.Sperry Top Sider Deck Boot- Men's Size 8.5 M, BlackMens Iron Age Steel Toe Oil Resistent Leather Upper Shoes, Size 11W
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Mens LL BEAN Olive Suede Jungle Moc Leather Hiking Sneakers Shoes 11.5 46
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Clarks Mens Capler Plain Oxford- Pick SZ/Color.Vintage Mens Embroidery Slip On Flat Leisure Driving Loafers Slipper Shoes Vogue History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.BOBO BIRD Original Brand Mens Bamboo Wood Watch 12 Holes Timer Unique Design...Gentlemen/Ladies Dockers Trustee Oxfords-Men's size 11.5M Brown We have won praise from our customers. New in stock business Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
SANUK DONNY BROWN VINTAGE DENIM STRIPE SIDEWALK SURFER SHOES, US 11/ ~NWT
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Mens Dr Doc Martens 10940 Shoes 10 UK / USM Size 11SANUK MORTIMER BIGGIE PALMS BLACK BOAT SHOES, MEN US 9/ ~NWTAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.STICO Slip Resistant Shoes-NEC-03H US Size Men 7-7.5 / Women 8-8.5
- Men's Brown Rockport XCS LEATHER Upper Loafer/Slip On 8 1/2W Black Sole EUC!
- SPERRY TOPSIDERS 9.5 M WATERPROOF BOAT SHOES 9.5 SPERRY SHOES 9.5 BOAT SHOES
- WOMENS LADIES FUR LINED WINTER ARMY COMBAT LOW HEEL FLAT GRIP ANKLE BOOTS SIZE
- Earth 6 Black Jordan Vintage Leather Side Zip Ankle Boots Womens
- Bottes femme Cuir Noir Rachel Zoe Taille 40 FR/ 9 US
- Steve Madden 4 The Cool People Coralyn Boots NEW $195 Natural military 9M (102)
- Isaac Mizrahi Quik Army Green Leather Wrap Strap Buckle Ankle Boot NEW
- Embroidery Summer Print Mens Genuine Leather Moccasin Loafers Shoes Oxfords AA
- adidas Adidas ObyO Superstar Saddle 80s white navy - mens US11.5
- Christian Louboutin 41,5 Alfie Sneakers Flat Hight Top Python Black Patent AUTH
- Clarks Cloudsteppers Balta Sun Men Open Toe Synthetic Thong Size 13 M Black
- *BRAND NEW* GORGEOUS 100% Authentic Schutz Black Sherri Woven Mules
- Adidas Mens - Blue Running Shoes Size 12 (420124)
- Men's PENGUIN "Rave" Green Athletic Shoes (Size: 8M)
- Columbia Hiking Boots Men Size 13 Waterproof Breathable Brown Color
- Dan Post 111 Pointed Toe 13" Cowboy Western Soft Leather Boots Men's US 8.5D
- Great Classic Sandals made for retailer Bacharach Italian made size 13 -13.5 M
- Rockport Mens M78632 BlackIi Hiking Boots Size 9 (E, W) (422048)
- JUSTIN BOOTS BULL HIDE Leather USA ROPERS 522 M 9 EE Wide BLACK WESTERN Cowboy
- Thorogood Men's Oxford Liberty Work Shoes TH834-6932 USA 12W
- Mens studded ankle High Top short Boots low heel Casual British shoes metal Toe
- MEN'S LOAKE BROWN SEMI BROGUE UK SIZES 6.5 8.5F
- **PUMA Suede Platform Strap Sneakers - Women's Size 8, Dark Purple
- Prada Black Mary Jane Pumps Size EU 38 (Approx. US 8) Regular (M, B)
- Emilio Pucci Slides Sandals Size EU 36.5 (Approx. US 6.5) Regular (M, B)
- Lanvin Tan Classic Ballerina Flats Size EU 38.5 (Approx. US 8.5) Regular (M, B)
- Nike Free Trainer V6 5.0 Texas Longhorns Mens Shoes Size 11
- Nike Flex 2017 RN Running Shoes, Sequoia/Black-Medium Olive, 11
- Adidas Pureboost X TR Zip Training Shoe - Womens
- Nike Air Huarache Run iD Hot Lava White SZ 7 /// Womens SZ 8.5 ( 777330-992 )
- Irish Wolfhound Dog-Running Shoes For Women-Free Shipping
- Womens High Slim Heel Shoes Ankle Boots Side Zip Pointed Toe Formal Fashion New
- 2018 Nike Air Pippen "Work Blue" SZ 9 Work Blue University Red 325001-403
- Mens Nike Air Jordan 3 III Retro 2013 White Fire Red 136064-120 Size 11
- Women's Zipper Up Chunky Low Heel Pointed Toe Faux Suede Pull On Shoes Casual Sz
- Baffin Womens Women's Huron, Black/Red, 10 Medium US
- Femme chaussures bottines cuir model KEANA Eu 33 au 44
- Keen Womens Size 8.5 US Brown Leather Casual Hiking Walking Mary Jane Shoes
- Earth Zest - Women's Comfort Slip-on Shoe Black - 7 Medium
- FitFlop Women's Shuv Felt Clog Black 6 M US
- SPRING STEP NOUGAT-GRY - NOUGAT Size: - Color:
- Klogs Carolina Women's Clogs Black Smooth - 10 Medium
- Converse All Star Ox Women's Black/White W9166
- Last one! Jeffrey campbell black/white/red Lo-Fi women's trainer sneakers sz 9
- Ash Women's AS-Link Sneaker - Choose SZ/Color
- Skechers Womens Mule Shoe Sz 9 Somethin Else Red/White Leather Slip On Loafer
- DANSKO Women's Classic Professional Slip-On Clogs Black Leather Size 42 #F27
- NEW Ferragamo NICKY Red Leather Gancini Men's Stitched High-Top Fashion Sneaker
- Fashion Mens Casual Leather Wedding business Dress Casual Loafer Suede Shoes
- Zanzara Men's Picasso II Driver Mocassins BLACK Leather SIZE 13 NWOB
- Polo Ralph Lauren Canvas High Top Sneakers Gym Shoes Hombre Orange 12
- Klogs Tiburon Unisex Comfort Slip-resistant Clog Bluebird - 7 Medium
- Newport News Boots Womens 6.5 Black Leather Knee High Length 3" Heels
- Call It Spring Galavis Mid-Calf Winter Boot Wmns Size 7
- Blowfish Mover Boots - Women's Size 8 Black
- Rachel Roy Echo Ankle Boot Black Grey Women's 9 M US - MSRP $425
- Merrell Brown Pixie Pull Waterproof Snow Boots 400g Opti-Warm Plaid EUC Size 8.5
- New Balance 990 Gray Men Sneakers Size 8 D $175 retail
- Florsheim Men's Castellano Cap Ox Saddle Tan Smooth Leather Business Shoes
- Palladium Men's Pampa Cuff WP LUX Boots, Brown
- Gentleman/Lady adidas Adilette Sandal Yellow/Blue excellent quality cheapest Strong heat and heat resistance
- Balenciaga Authentic Womens Shoes Size 37 Brown Loafers Leather Flats Oxfords
- Mens 11.5 Nike Free Sparq Dynamic Training Running Shoes Black CrossFit Sneakers
- NIKE AIR Size 11.5 - VISI PRO 5
- Mens genuine leather Military combat work High ankle Boot shoes black brown new
- Kamik Everest of Canada Felt Insulated Leather Rubber Snow Boots men's Size 11
- K-Swiss Norfolk Men's Boots mens-boots Sneakers High Outdoor Leather NEW
- Vito Rossi Men's Treviso-2 Leather Side Zip Casual Boot Brown Size 12M
- Valentino Red Rockstud Ballerina Flats Size US 9.5 Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Bianca Botta 140mm Suede Boots/Booties Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin Black Patent Pigalle Follies 100mm Pumps Size EU 39 (Approx. US 9) Regular (M, B)
- NIB MEN'S NIKE 863775 002 FREE RN DISTANCE 2 RUNNING SHOES
- New - Nike Zoom Superfly Elite Mens 835996-413 Cobalt Sprint Track Spikes - 10.5
- Adidas Women's Stella McCartney Crazy Move Running Sneakers Black S80844 SZ 5-11
- Dark Brown Leather Lizard Cap Toed 13" NOCONA 7312 Western Cowboy Boots Sz 8.5D
- ALLEN EDMONDS Westport Men's Venetian Loafers Brown Slip On Boat Shoes Sz 10.5 D
- Man's/Woman's Nike Men's Air Huarache Running Shoe feature Online Perfect processing
- Mens Sneaker Florsheim Navigator Plain Toe Oxford Black Nubuck Shoes 14203-006
- Adidas BB4655 Men Duramo 8 Running shoes black white Sneakers
- Women's Nike Free Run Flyknit OC Unlimited Olympic Collection
- Skechers 14957 Performance Womens You-Shine Sneaker- Choose SZ/Color.
- XOXO Women's Normandy Round Toe Black Canvas Knee High Heeled Boot Sz 11 US; $79
- Nike Jordan Trunner Dominate Purple/ Black & White Men's Size 8
- Nike Men's Air Baseline Low Basketball Shoes Size 11.5 New
- Men's/Women's ADORE-1020FS Special price cheapest Exquisite (processing) processing
- Carlos by Santana Women's Cara Fashion Boot
- Sam Edelman Women's Jillian Mule - Choose SZ/color
- SESTO MEUCCI Slides Size 8 Multicolor Floral Butterflies Made In Italy Shoes
- crocs Women's Swiftwater Wave W Flat, Electric Blue, 7 M US
- Eastland Classic II Burgundy 3924W Womens Size 6.5 Shoes
- Lanvin Ballet Flat Size 38.5 Teal Leather
Vans Sk8-Hi Reissue Mens Pool Vibes Black True White Skate shoes Size 10.5 NWT
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, Wolverine Nathan DuraShocks Mens Loafer Brown Nubuk Moc Toe US 11 Mthe task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:New! Men's Skechers 64239 Relaxed Fit Define-Trevino Casual Hi-Top Shoe BLK D28Sperry Topside Bahama Chukka Grey Sz 11.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Lightweight Hightop Sneakers Canvas Running Shoes Red Elephant Skin Men's ES1
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. Man/Woman Crevo Rasta - Tan - Mens bargain product quality Preferred boutiqueAfter fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, Kenneth Cole Unlisted Crown Prince Sneaker - Men's Size 13M, Whitewhen two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Sperry Topsider Mens Shoes NEW Striper II CVO Map Print Canvas Boat 8 M
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, Men's Nettleton Tassle Loafers Black Leather Slip On Shoes Sz 11BCOLE HAAN mens brown leather casual loafers shoes size 10 Mspecifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.Mens Autunm High Top Riding Ankle Boots British Zippers Leather Pointy Toe ShoesSANUK MENS OFFSHORE NATURAL Boat Shoes SMF10669 SIDEWALK SURFER Casual Loafers
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Mephisto Men's Runoff Air Jet Brown Oxford Casual Shoes Size 10.5Man's/Woman's Skechers Men's Go Walk Max-Escalate Sneaker Excellent craft New style CharacteristicsThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,NEW $70 GBX Black LEATHER & SUEDE High Top Casual Shoes Mens 8 1/2 8.5NEW SKECHERS BOB'S CURRENT LOAFER SHOES MENS 12 GRAY BOAT SHOES FREE SHIP tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Madden by Steve Madden Mens M-Tacoma Sneaker Shoe
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Mens Trendy Emboridered Floral Slip On Espadrilles Shoes Sneakers Moccasins SHOEand argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, PRE OWNED CREATIVE RECREATION HIGHTOP SHOES SIZE:9 Blackdangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
Mens Dress Tassels Leather Slip On Brogue Pointy Wedding Casual Shoes Oxfords
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. COLE HAAN Air Yacht Club Boat II Shoes - Size 10.5 & 11 **Different Size Shoes**The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, Nike Cortex ‘72 Men Size 10 Loyal Blue Metallic Pewter White 863173-400 B-Gradecounterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,Dockers Men's Keenland Slip-On Loafer - Size 8 M, Whiskey tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.Toffeln Ezi Klog Pro Air 0815 - Black - Washable Work ShoesVans Men's Ellis Mid Black Charcoal Liberty VN-0JWV7AN Size: 11.5 FAST SHIP
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.THOROGOOD Mens Shoes Black Leather Code 3 Oxford Postal Uniform 834-6333 9M UsedKenneth Cole REACTION Men's Credit Card Oxford, Navy, 11 M US
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given