Repost of an NIB Christian Louboutin Toerless Muse Black Suede Strappy Cage Ballet Flat 35 from 2009 by Charles S. Viar (Twitter: present chairman of the Center for Intelligence Studies in Washington D.C. (reposted here for layout reasons; in accordance with the copyright notice at the bottom of the essay):
Men's/Women's Manolo Blahnik Crespony 70 Satin Mule Modern and elegant fashion buy Popular tide shoes
Charles S. Viar
Although the origins of intelligence have been lost in the mists of time, the practice is at least as ancient as warfare. In what is perhaps the oldest written reference to an intelligence operation, The Book of Numbers recounts God’s command that Moses dispatch a reconnaissance team to scout the Israelite advance upon the Promised Land:
Send thou men, that they may search the land of Canaan, which I give unto the Children of Israel. Of every tribe of their fathers shall ye send a man, everyone a ruler among them…
Had the Canaanites possessed an effective counterintelligence capability, the story of the Israelite assault might have ended differently. For even a minimal foreknowledge of their intentions and capabilities would have made it possible for the Canaanites to organize a more effective defense. But as may be inferred from the Bible, they failed to detect the operation directed against them.NWOB Cavallini Women's Leather Studded Gold heel Loafers Shoes Black sz 38.5 (8)TOD'S WOMEN'S LEATHER LOAFERS MOCCASINS NEW VN MACRO CLAMP WHITE C9B
For that, they paid a fearsome price.
Saint Laurent YSL Jimmy Sandals Shoes - brand new - RRP5
Narrowly defined as “evaluated information,” intelligence is a dynamic process that involves the collection, analysis, and dissemination of data to national policymakers and other government officials of lesser rank. Intelligence serves to forewarn them of likely actions, events, and developments within their sphere of responsibility; and aids in matching available resources to threats and opportunities alike. As such, it is the sine qua non of effective statecraft.
More broadly, intelligence also serves as a force-multiplier. Much as Archimedes Lever makes it possible to magnify mechanical force transmitted across space, covert and clandestine intelligence operations make it possible for states to enhance the power they project beyond their frontiers.Fendi New Faces Flat Multi-Color Womens Shoes Size 9.5 M Flats MSRP $750Gianvito Rossi Milano Womens Ballet Shoes Ankle Tie Beige Suede Size 38 1/2 New History is littered with examples of small and middling states exercising disproportionate influence through the deft application of secret intelligence.
Given the enormous – and occasionally decisive – advantages conferred by effective intelligence in the Great Game of Nations, well-governed states seek to maximize the effectiveness of their own intelligence services and to protect themselves against hostile services deployed against them.Christian Dior Womens Black Shoes Mesh Espadrille Flats Size 36 Slip OnsNEW BURBERRY CURRENT CHECK NUDE PINK BALLERINA BALLET FLAT SHOES 37.5/US 7.5 Domestic security typically provides one level of defense, and counterintelligence another.
NIB 0 STELLA McCARTNEY Scarpa Tess Womens Tatami Smoking Shoes 40 Embellished
Although counterintelligence has been recognized as an integral component of state security since the Chinese military scholar Sun Tzu published The Art of War in the Fourth or Fifth century BC, the concept remains muddled. For almost two and a half millennia, the term itself has defied definition.
According to James Angleton, the legendary former Chief of CIA Counterintelligence, the term is ineffable. Although Angleton’s Deputy Chief for Operations generally concurred, he believed counterintelligence could nonetheless be described in terms of core functions. Authentic Fabi Leather Italian Designer Sandals New 6,7,8,9,10,11Disney Irregular Choice Toy Story Alien Pumps Shoes Flats EUR37 US6.5 Near MintAngleton’s Deputy Chief for Analysis, however, disagreed with both. According to Raymond G. Rocca, counterintelligence is self-defined: it applies to any action undertaken to counter, i.e., negate, the efforts of hostile intelligence services.
Having studied under all three of the practitioners listed above, the writer of this paper eventually concluded Rocca’s understanding is more nearly correct; and has since argued that counterintelligence can be best illustrated by contrast. Where counterespionage – or security – seeks to neutralize individual spies and spy rings, counterintelligence attempts to neutralize hostile intelligence services as a whole.CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN MEDINANA BLACK TAN FRINGE CONVERTIBLE LOAFER I LOVE SHOES
- Funtasma 3.5" Matte Tan Platform Funky Retro Disco 70s Shoes Glam Mens 8-14
- Men’s 8M Loafers Giorgio Brutini LE Glove Brown Leather No Tassels Excellent
- * Florsheim Imperial * Cap-Toe Oxford Shoes Brown Sz. 9.5D Excellent
- Man/Woman SODA ZULUU SLOUCH BOOTS TAN Durable service Pleasant appearance buy online
- INC Womens Shoe Madison Platform High Heel Ankle Boot Bootie Leopard Print 10M
- Women's LL Bean Maine Low Ankle Duck Boots Size 8 M Blue Brown
- DV Dolce Vita Anthropologie Black Suede & Leather Ankle Boot Booties 7 M Wedge
- BCBGeneration Womens Ryan BC465 6.5M NIB STUDDED Blk
- Harley-Davidson Men's CHASE Leather Black Shoes D93009
- Ted Baker Men's Peair Oxford - Choose SZ/Color
- Men's Closed Toe Genuine Leather Mexican Huarache Sandals Vine-Beige Size 10
- Mephisto Men's James Slides Sandals Wine Size ( ) New!!!
- DS 2017 VANS SLIDE ON VN0004KIIX6 BLACK
- Native Mens Apollo Moc Gray Casual Shoes Sneakers 13 Medium (D) BHFO 0224
- NEW Nike CK Racer Grey Dust Cobblestone Mens Running Shoes 916780-002 US 11
- Hot Men's Casual Ankle Boots Cuban British Style High Top Heel Zip Suede Shoes
- Skechers Men's Work Holdredge Steel Toe Sneaker
- Blondo Men's Waterproof Tall 16 inch Boot Black Leather 11 m
- Dan Post Brown And Black Snakeskin Cowboy boots Size 10.5D Great Condition!
- JUSTIN MENS 8.5 D BLACK LONDON CALF LEATHER CLASSIC WESTERN COWBOY BOOTS ROPERS
- Magnum Mens Precultraliteiiwpctbk-M Black Work & Safety Boots Size 11 (364586)
- To Boot New York 2848 David Shoes Size 8.5 Brown Leather Oxfords $350 Retail
- 2018 New Mens Flats Ethnic Chinese Carved Oracle Round Toe Retro Real Leather sz
- Jimmy Choo Beige Unisex Suede New Boots/Booties Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- Christian Louboutin White Sneakers Size US 10.5
- Valentino Tan Rock Stud Pumps Size EU 40 (Approx. US 10) Regular (M, B)
- NIKE SB BLAZER LOW 864347-200 BRITISH TAN /BLACK Sz. 8-13
- Man/Woman: Nike Men's Tanjun Black/White: value
- Nike Kobe Bryant 11 XI Sz 14.5 100% Authentic Nike White Green 856485 130
- Scarpe ADIDAS Uomo BIANCO Pelle naturale,PU BB0187U
- Nike Women's Air Max 180 ULTRAMARINE WHITE SOLAR RED BLUE AH6786-100 sz 8
- Men/Women Propet TravelFit - Black;Grey - Womens New varieties are launched Low price Seasonal hot sale
- Ladies Cute Pink Bow Black Suede Ankle Boot 4 Womens Slim Heel Pointy Toe Shoes
- Nike Air Force 1 '07 Mid Triple Black mens sneakers | 315123-001
- New NIKE AIR KD 8 "KEVIN DURANT" BASKETBALL Men's Size 10
- CLARKS Women's Brizo Sammie Flat Sandal - Choose SZ/color
- PLEASER Fearless-700-28 7" Heel Sexy Exotic Bootie
- Liberty Black Women's Micro Jaguart T-Moro Tall Fringe Boot Narrow Square Toe
- MERRELL Marina Silver Burch Women's Perforated Vibram Boat Moccasins Size 7.5
- Munro American Kimi Slip on Casual Loafers Womens White Leather Size 7.5 M*
- Gentleman/Lady Silent D Narcia White Slip-on Shoes Crazy price, Birmingham At a lower price Speed refund
- Fratelli Rossetti Burgundy Red Leather Wing Tip Oxfords Brogue Shoes 9 NWB $398
- RALPH LAUREN COLLECTION "DASITA" Blue Leather Loafers Moccasins 8.5B
- Converse One Star Platform Ox Women's Egret/Black 560696C Size 8, 10
- NIKE WMNS CLASSIC CORTEZ PREM SUMMIT WHITE LIGHT BONE 905614-102 Sz US 5.5
- Kenneth Cole New York Women's Pauline Ballet Flat Navy Suede Flats
- BASS "Bend" Women's Leather Brown Shoe Size 10M Loafers Comfort
- Kenneth Cole New York Black leather pointy toe ankle to mid calf boots w/zipper
- Mens Blue/ White Bally Leather Drivers Loafers Shoes Sz 9 UK / 10 US / 43 EU
- Fashion Mens Casual Leather Wedding business Dress Casual Loafer Suede Shoes
- ECCO - Mens Leather Slip-On Black Dress shoes Size US 13 - 13.5 NICE!
- Steve Madden Mens Baill Hi Top Fashion Sneaker Shoe
- Mens Clarks Cloudsteppers Casual Shoes Marus Edge
- AK ANNE KLEIN Brown Leather Knee High Zip Fashion Boots Size 7.5 M
- Matisse Penny Brown Pebbled Leather Slouch knee Boot Womens Size 6 M Brazil
- New! Women's Wolverine Kacey 10” Composite Toe Wellington Boot W10527 Pnk/BOG rt
- French Connection Clementina Women Brown Suede Knee High Boots 9 M NIB
- VIONIC Ladies UPRIGHT FAROS Suede Fringe Ankle Boots GREIGE Sz. 6.5 M NIB
- Mens DB Slip On Shoes - Nelson
- Eytys Odyssey Canvas Hi-top Sneakers Unisex M 7.5 W 9 $230
- Mr/Ms NIB*CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN*Hightop Spike Strass Sneaker*US 8.5*$2995 Exquisite (middle) workmanship Beautiful Breathable shoes
- (VTG) RALPH LAUREN POLO SPORT LEATHER SLINGBACK SPORT-SANDALS BROWN MEN SIZE 9.5
- JIMMY CHOO Black Perforated Mesh Leather Bow Round Toe Ballet Flats 38.5/8.5
- Nike 579826-003. 12/11/13. 02/24/14. size 8.5 black
- Nike Vandal High Supreme Mens Shoes Black White 318330 001 Size 10
- Men's Winter Ankle Boots Slip On Zip Casual High Top Thicken Warm Snow Shoes
- Bogs Mens Bogs Cruz Chukka Leather Casual Brown Waterproof Boots Size 10.5
- Johnston & Murphy Men Size 11.5 Medium (D, M) Brown Leather Hiking, Trail
- Brunello Cucinelli Brown and Tan Grey & Suede Low Top Sneakers Sneakers Size EU 37 (Approx. US 7) Regular (M, B)
- adidas Burnt Orange Shell Toe Sneakers Size US 9 Regular (M, B)
- Tory Burch Cream Ballet Flats Size US 8.5 Regular (M, B)
- NIKE 749571-100 MEN'S NIKE CLASSIC CORTEZ RUNNING SHOE MENS SIZE 10.5 SWOOSH
- Nike Flex Experience RN 7 Mens 908985-006 Black Gym Red Running Shoes Size 9.5
- Weatherproof Mens Boots Winter Commuter Black Zipper size 8 10 NEW
- NEW NWOB HERMAN SURVIVORS Men's 9" Waterproof Combo Hunting Boots SZ8
- Double HH Boots Men's 5.5 Brown Leather Cowboy/Western Boots
- 230$ MENS NEIL M DENVER/PRESIDENT BROWN SUEDE LEATHER OXFORD MADE IN USA SIZE 9D
- Puma TSUGI JUN FUBU BHM Running Shoes Mens 367440-01
- Mens adidas Busenitz vulc tan/black 8 1/2 new
- ADIDAS ZAPATILLAS DEPORTIVAS BASKETBALL PARA MUJER ART. D69635 AMPLIFY J
- NIKE W AIR HUARACHE RUN ULTRA 819151 402 BLUE GREY/SUMMIT WHITE - MESH
- Jessica Simpson Size 8.5 M Trebble Nude Patent Sneaker Wedges New Womens Shoes
- Women Zips Sexy Transparent Wedge High Heel Pointy Toe Ankle Boots Shoes Leather
- Nike Free RN CMTR 2017 Run Commuter Black Men Running Shoes Sneakers 880841-001
- NIKE LEBRON WITNESS II MEN'S SIZE 11 BASKETBALL SHOES BLACK WHITE 942518 011 NEW
- Women's pointed toe stretch over knee high knight boots high block heels shoes
- T.U.K. Women's A6570L Chukka Creeper Boot,Black,10 M US
- Dromedaris Women's Kara Denim Boot
- VANELI Womens peek toe scalloped Ballerina flat Tan Suede Leather size 11M EUC
- Klogs MARISA Women's Leather Clogs Display Model White 8.5 W
- Soludos Women's Flat Embroidered Moccasin - Choose SZ/Color
Laura Bellariva 9251 Black Stamped Leather Mary Jane Heels Shoes 37 / US 7
In a more perfect world, intelligence services would aspire to comprehensive coverage of their targets. But in actual practice, physical, organizational, political, and budgetary constraints have traditionally forced them to limit their collection activities to data pertaining to the targeted state’s organization, capabilities, and intentions. More recently, intelligence services have been tasked with gathering financial, economic, and technical data as well; and with the development of remote collection techniques, the amount of raw data collected by major intelligence services has become staggering in both scope and volume.
From a theoretical standpoint, intelligence collection and analysis should not be especially difficult. But given the fact that intelligence services routinely devote a substantial portion of their resources to deception operations designed to deceive their adversaries, New Miu Miu by Prada Black Flats Size 38 US 8the task is far more difficult than it first appears. Tables of organization and orders of battle can be faked, deployment patterns and readiness indicators manipulated, and communications traffic played for purpose. Indeed, almost any sort of intelligence data can be fabricated and fed to foreign intelligence services through sacrificial spies, dangles, false defectors, and dispatched agents.
This inherent vulnerability to hostile deception operations lays bare what Angleton formally referred to as the Epistemological Problem:roger vivier Bal Quadrata Trompette Flat Shoes Sz 36.5RALPH LAUREN Genuine ALLIGATOR LOAFERS Shoes FLATs BROWN BOW rare Mint 37.5.
Given the fact that foreign intelligence services routinely mount large and carefully crafted deception operations against us, how can we know what we believe to be true is actually so?
In less guarded moments, he called it “That damnable question.”
Tod's 225 Gray Suede / Leather Double T Buckle Ballerina Flats 34 / US 4
As intelligence practitioners will attest, it is a damnable question indeed. Nonetheless, there are two solutions to the problem – one partial, the other complete.
The first solution is to look at intelligence data in terms of a jigsaw puzzle extending across time. NEW RENE CAOVILLA WOMENS EMBELLISHED Platinum Kid Stones 40.5 10.5After fitting together as many of the pieces as possible, one may flag those that are known to be true beyond doubt. Subsequent pieces that fit with those may be presumed true, in the absence of contrary evidence.
Although this approach has considerable merit – including especially the way it facilitates intuitive judgments – the results it generates are both probabilistic and tentative. The likelihood that new data may significantly alter the pattern is high.
In contrast, the second solution can provide definitive answers – but only rarely, VALENTINO Rockstud Soul Beatle Boots in Black Leather Size 37.5when two relatively unlikely events occur simultaneously: 1) a high-level penetration agent confirms the validity of specific intelligence data, and 2) a code break “backstops” the veracity of the confirming agent. In the world of intelligence, certainty depends upon serendipity.
The recruitment of high-level penetration agents is rare, and code breaks are even more so. They occur together perhaps once a decade, and when they do intelligence analysts emerge from their garrets to enjoy a brief moment of clarity. But when the agent is lost or the codes are changed, they are condemned to wander once more through what Angleton termed “The Wilderness of Mirrors” – an Epistemological Hell from which neither truth nor falsehood may be surely obtained.
Roger Vivier Ballet Flats Ballerines Chips TAN Patent Leather size 40.5 silver
Determining the validity of intelligence data thus depends in part on recruiting from the enemy’s ranks senior political office holders or high-ranking government officials, and in part upon breaking their codes. But once affected, these unlikely circumstances open a window to other intriguing possibilities – including, CUTE! Women's $450 Stubbs and Wootton Velvet "CHANDELIER" Slippers Loafers Shoes$595 NIB Salvatore Ferragamo Varina Bow Bianco Nappa Flats Shoes Black White 8specifically, offensive counterintelligence operations designed to penetrate, infiltrate, and suborn the target’s intelligence service in order to play it back against the state it serves. The ultimate goal of such operations is to entice or provoke the targeted state into undertaking ruinous and self-destructive actions.New Miu Miu Womens Shoes Brown Ballet Flats Size 39 Animal Print CavallinoStella Mccartney NEW Elyse Cut-Out Platform Shoes Size 38 US 7 453634W1A40
As Angleton observed, successful politicians and senior government officials are a remarkably homogenous lot. For the most part, they derive from roughly comparable social circumstances and share core formative experiences in common. Lanvin Shoe Black and Tan Animal Print Calf Hair And Leather Flat Size 40Beijing Traditional Ladies Shoes Mary Jane Flats Embroidered Flower WedgeThey attend the same schools – or at least the same types of schools – and are imbued with the same canon. They also hold remarkably similar beliefs and values, and share certain characteristic attitudes regarding the larger world. Together these form something akin to a collective psyche, or what Angleton termed the “Mind of the State.”
If states have minds, they also have states of mind – and as with individuals, it is their state of mind that makes them most vulnerable to deception. For a state of mind is a predisposition to belief or action; and if that predisposition can be accurately gauged,Prada White Leather Sz 40 Platform Espadrilles Brogues OxfordsHOGAN WOMEN'S LEATHER SLIP ON SNEAKERS NEW H259 ROUTE PANTOFOLA B 812 tempting or provoking the targeted decision-makers to ruin becomes a plausible exercise in perception management.
Giuseppe Zanotti 1155 Mirror Metallic Rosegold Buckle Ballet Flats Size 37
If there is a single failing common to decision-makers throughout history, it is an excessive faith in intelligence. For reasons that remain obscure, decision-makers seem unable or unwilling to grasp the implications of the Epistemological Problem Angleton described. Despite ample warnings, they almost invariably place far more credence in intelligence reports than they deserve; and it is upon this most basic failing that offensive counterintelligence plays.
In The Art of War, Sun Tzu wrote “Supreme excellence is to subdue the enemy without fighting” Men's/Women's CHRISTIAN LOUBOUTIN MESH PEEP-TOE FLATS Adequate supply and timely delivery Attractive fashion high quality productand argued this end may best be achieved by manipulating the “Golden Threads” of intelligence – that is, the lines of communications that connect agents recruited from within the enemy’s camp to one’s own. The first Golden Thread may be activated by sacrificing deliberately misinformed low-level agents for capture, Brand New TOD'S Women Golden Leather Tassels Ballerina Flat Shoes UK6.5 US9.5dangling double agents for enemy recruitment, and dispatching false defectors to the enemy’s camp. The second is brought into play by querying the agent-in-place to determine how the enemy decision-makers have interpreted the false information they delivered. If the information evokes the intended state of mind, the false message can be reinforced by repeating the process in different ways. If not, it can be modulated until it does.
By these means offensive counterintelligence operations can create a false picture of reality in the minds of targeted decision-makers, much as an artist paints an image upon a sheet of canvass. Brush stroke by brush stroke, the attacking service can exploit the enemy intelligence service it suborned to systematically manipulate the Mind of the State.
MIU MIU Ballerinas Brown Leather Studded Ballets Flats Round Toe Bow Shoes US6.5
The many critics of offensive counterintelligence argue that strategic deception operations of the size and scale suggested above are far too complex and complicated to be practical, as they are doomed to eventually collapse under their own weight. $690 Bottega Veneta Women Intrecciato Royal Blue Leather Flats 39.5 407066 4315The criticism is true at least in part, but nonetheless disingenuous. Intelligence operations of any sort have a relatively short shelf life; and unless shut down by those who initiated them or uncovered by their intended targets, they will ALL eventually collapse for similar cause.
Perhaps more to the point, modern history is strewn with examples of successful strategic deceptions including the TRUST operation of the 1920’s, which saved the nascent Soviet state from ruin; the Soviet-sponsored WIN operation that forced the United States to abandon its post-war efforts to liberate Eastern Europe; and the Anglo-American deception operation that made possible the successful invasion of Normandy in 1944. All of these operations were conducted in the manner outlined above, and each inflicted massive damage upon the states they targeted.
Unfortunately, the United States abandoned its national counterintelligence capability in December of 1974 – and with it, the ability to mount large-scale strategic deception operations. Redefined and re-envisioned by successive administrations, JIMMY CHOO NANO OPTIC WHITE JEWELED CAGE FLATS GLADIATORS SANDALS 37.5 $625counterintelligence had been reduced to little more than a security function until the Clinton Administration partially resurrected it after disastrous and overlapping penetrations of the CIA and the FBI were uncovered in the 1990’s. Expanded and reorganized in the aftermath of 9-11, a National Counterintelligence Executive now exists as a semi-autonomous supervisory agency. And yet despite the many long overdue reforms that have been undertaken since 2001, U.S. counterintelligence remains hobbled by an obtuse and legalistic definition, conceptual confusion,VALENTINO Women's Rock Runner Camo Sneakers NW2S0291TCC K34 EU Size tangled jurisdictions, and – above all – by institutional timidity. For while offensive counterintelligence operations are now officially recognized, they remain tightly controlled and rarely sanctioned. They are tactical operations, most often mounted in reprisal.
Despite ample modern precedents, strategic deception operations of the sort advocated by Sun Tzu and refined by Angleton remain beyond the pale. This is unfortunate and – for those that seek to limit the suffering caused by armed conflict – deeply disconcerting.SO CUTE! Women's $450 Stubbs and Wootton Velvet "REEF" Slippers Loafers ShoesPrada Black Leather Pointy Logo Bow Toe Ballet Flats size 36.5 NIB $710
For in the Great Game of Nations, offensive counterintelligence remains the only plausible means for achieving victory without war. For if only in theory, it is the primary offensive instrument of state.
Published by the Center for Intelligence Studies.TOD'S New sz 39 - 9 Womens Designer Flats Loafers Shoes Moccasins Drivers navyTod's Ladies Ribes Linch Red Fringe Flat Shoes New in Box
1016 K Street NE. Washington, DC. 20002
202 / 399-0292
Copyright 2009. This paper may be reproduced in part or in whole for civic or educational purposes, provided that context is preserved and full attribution is given